A brief overview of the Cardiology Specialized Center
Our center treats patients with heart and vascular diseases. We focus on providing our inpatients and outpatients with comprehensive cardiologic care. Because of the high number of treatments we offer and the wide range of our care, we are among the largest centers in the Czech Republic. At our specialized center, we use the most advanced examination and treatment procedures.
We provide up to 24.000 patients with treatment every year. Annually, we perform approximately 2.900 diagnostic catheterizations, 130 ICD implantations, 120 radiofrequency ablations of arrhythmias, and many more.
We work closely with the Specialized Center of Cardiovascular Surgery. Thanks to our cooperation with the Specialized Center of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging, we have access to the most up-to-date computing tomography equipment.
Is this specialty placement ideal for you?
- Since we often admit patients in critical conditions, this placement requires you to be able to adapt to a demanding environment and to cope with a fast-paced work. The procedures that we carry out need to be done with precision and the imaging methods' devices are an absolute necessity. For this reason, this placement is a deep nursing experience. Although we focus mainly on minor surgeries, the fact that we often perform acute operations makes the job even more challenging.
- This placement is suitable for you, if you are considering a career path in nursing, cardiovascular surgery or in radiology and diagnostic imaging, as we closely cooperate with these specialized centers within our hospital. As minor surgery is a fundamental part of this specialty, you will not only witness the work of our nursing team in cooperation with technicians, but you will also observe the work of the doctors during the surgery.
Let's take a closer look at the specialties…
We provide comprehensive treatment for patients with cardiovascular diseases. Our team is qualified specifically in interventional and non-invasive cardiology, arrhythmology and acute cardiology. We care for patients with congenital and acquired defects.
Non-invasive cardiology uses external tests to detect and treat various heart diseases in our patients without inserting instruments into their bodies. Non-invasive evaluation is ideal for patients with a history of heart disease, suspected valve disease or chest pain with an unknown cause.
Interventional cardiology focuses on treating vascular diseases with minimally invasive procedures instead of performing surgery or other procedures. Our specialization is treating coronary artery disease with balloon angioplasty and stenting. These therapies unblock clogged arteries and allow them to supply blood to the heart, stop heart attacks and relieve chest pain and angina. We are also trained to perform procedures on cardiac valves and other structures.
In the Catheterization Unit, we provide direct assistance at the catheterization table and are in charge of preparation of all the relevant materials. Catheterization is one of the most important procedures used to diagnose heart disease and determine treatment methods. It is conducted in the heart and peripheral arteries while treating acute myocardial infarction. We use catheterization when the patient suffers from cardiac rhythm disorders, congenital heart defects, heart valve disorders, coronary artery disease or diseases of the heart muscle. Throughout the entire process, we constantly monitor the ECG graph in search of any abnormalities.
We are glad to have top-notch equipment that allows us to provide our patients with the best possible care. This equipment includes CARTO, a device which allows us to perform three-dimensional electroanatomic mapping; an echocardiographic device with 3D transesophageal echocardiography; an echocardiographic device that includes intracardiac echocardiography; and a LUCAS Chest Compression System, which is designed for external cardiac compression.
Our center consists of the following specialized outpatient facilities:
- Congenital and acquired cardiac defects
- Cardiac failure
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Electrophysiology and cardiac pacing
Who do we take care of?
In our department, we provide compendious cardiologic care to inpatients and outpatients. Our patients suffer from various heart defects and diseases.
The doctors in our outpatient facility for congenital and acquired cardiac defects focus on diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of adult patients with congenital or acquired cardiac defects.
At our outpatient facility for patients with cardiac failure, we specialize in diagnosis and treatment of cardiac failure by differential diagnosis of endomyocardial biopsy causes (in cooperation with invasive cardiologists), setting optimal medication treatment, indication and assurance of resynchronizing treatment of cardiac arrest in cooperation with arrhythmologists.
Patients suffering from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy are provided with treatment at the outpatient facility for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. We specialize in diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of these patients, including alcohol ablation of the interventricular septum. The number of monitored patients with this rare disease in our facility is the largest in the Czech Republic.
At the angiology outpatient facility, we focus on diagnosing and treating patients with blood and lymph node diseases.
Our methods and procedures
Our mentoring team at the catheterization unit uses the following methods and procedures to provide the best possible care for our patients:
- Acute and planned catheterization examinations of the heart – coronarography, percutaneous angioplasties of the coronary artery, and treatment with renal carotid artery stents.
- Catheterization of the heart and peripheral arteries
- Closures of atrial septal defects and foramen ovale
- Implantation of an aortal valve through catheterization in cooperation with the cardiosurgical team
- Transcutaneous method of introducing an aortic valve replacement through the groin
- Connecting patients to an ECG and providing venous input
How does the usual schedule look like?
- Our unit operates on a regular schedule Monday through Thursday and it is closed on Friday, and therefore you will have more working hours during the first four days of the week than your fellow students in other units or specialized centers.
If you are not sure whether this choice is suitable for you, don’t hesitate to contact us. We will discuss your experience and motivation and come up with the best solution for you.