Specialized Center of Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine
Physiotherapy & Spinal Unit
Brief characteristic of the department of rehabilitation and sports medicine
The Specialized Center of Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine focuses on physical therapy for adults and children. We treat patients suffering from various diseases and conditions such as vertebrogenic disorders, neurological diseases, patients after surgeries, injuries of locomotive system, spine surgeries, as well as, patients with internal diseases.
Yearly, we hospitalize more than 630 patients and provide treatment for approximately 4.350 out-patients within our department. In other departments we rehabilitate roughly 13.500 patients.
Our physiotherapists work within 6 specialized centers in the University Hospital in Motol. Those centers are the Specialized Center of Cardiovascular Surgery, the Specialized Center of Neurology, the Specialized Center of Orthopedics, the Specialized Center of Pulmonology, the Spinal Cord Unit and of course the Specialized Center of Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine.
How will your detailed schedule look like? What type of procedures, methods or treatment can you observe? Check what can you see by shadowing every member of the mentoring team.
Is this specialty placement ideal for you?
- If you are interested in sports medicine and physical therapy methods, this specialty is the right choice for you. Each of your mentors would tell you that we put emphasis on the harmony between the body and the soul. You will witness the preparation of patients before surgery, the post-operative care as well as the therapy of adults and children suffering from injuries, internal, neurological and other diseases . The bond between the physiotherapist and the patient is a very strong one as we meet on regular basis and mutual trust is very important. You need to possess empathy, sensibility and patience, since the recovery from any disease or injury is a long way run, but when successful, the work is completely worth it.
- This specialty is ideal for you, if you aspire to become a physical therapist, or doctor focused on spinal surgery. At this type of placement you will gain a valuable insight into all of these fields and understand better its complexity and consequencies of the injuries your future patients would deal with.
Let's take a closer look at the specialties…
Some of our physiotherapists are working in our Department of Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine in the Physiotherapy Unit. Majority of our physiotherapists, however, works permanently in other specialized centers, because their assistance is indispensable. For that reason we closely cooperate with 6 specialized centers within the University Hospital in Motol. Among those specialized centers are the Spinal Cord Unit and the Specialized Center of Spinal Surgery.
The spinal cord physical therapy for patients who suffered from spinal cord injury is an extremely important part of treatment. Our aim is to prevent secondary complications, maximize physical functioning and reintegrate our patient into the community. All spinal cord injuries are very different and a unique plan has to be tailored for each patient. We focus on lower and upper extremity function and difficulties with mobility, as well as, the emotional and behavioral concerns of our patients.
Therapeutic devices and aids are key components of our therapy, among those are Lokomat, MOTOmed, functional electrical stimulation, standing frames, flexi-bars, therapeutic suspension system, breathing simulators and many more.
Support tools are necessary part of the therapy, for that reason we use equipment such as crutches, axillary crutches, low and high walkers and other.
Who do we take care of?
Our team in the Spinal Cord Unit provides specific physical therapy for neurological patients with spinal lesions. We can divide our patients into two characteristic groups paraplegic and tetraplegic. Patients suffering from tetraplegia require longer and more comprehensive physiotherapeutic treatment, beginning with the respiratory physiotherapy. The entire process is much quicker with paraplegic patients is much quicker, because of the remaining movement in their upper limbs and sometimes even in torso. Every patient has to go through two one-hour therapeutic sessions every day.
In the Specialized Center of Spinal Surgery we treat patients who underwent spinal surgery, suffer from consequences of degenerative diseases and patients who experienced spinal injuries. On the other hand we are also taking care of patients who are trying to treat their problems conservatively, without surgical interventions.
Our methods and procedures
To provide the best possible treatment and therapeutic services at the Spinal cord Unit we use following methods and procedures:
- Reflex locomotion method
- Bobath concept
- Proprioceptive neurological facilitation
- Dynamic neuromuscular stabilization
- Soft chest mobilization techniques
How does the usual schedule look like?
- Our mentoring team works on a regular schedule without any fluctuations. Work here is therefore ideal for people who like fixed working hours. We focus on both inpatient and outpatient care, the minimum of 25 hours in the hospital is guaranteed.
If you are not sure whether this choice is suitable for you, don't hesitate to contact us. We will discuss your experience and motivation and come up with the best solution for you.